Monday, January 28, 2008

I WANNA BE A THINKTANKER

I want to work at a think tank. I want to do that because every stupid-assed thing I thought of would have the credibility of my think tank behind it. Apparently it would mean that I could publish the silliest of my ideas anywhere. Case in point, this weekend's New York Times magazine.

The article is called Waving Goodbye to Hegemony. It starts by positing a world in 2016, a scant eight years from now, in which China has "absorbed" Taiwan and has a naval base in Pakistan, and (and I quote) "the European Union has expanded to well over 30 members and has secure oil and gas flows from North Africa, Russia and the Caspian Sea, as well as substantial nuclear energy." America, in this world is in decline.

Let me get this straight. Taiwan is eight years from peacefully joining China? That's fascinating. I would not have ever guessed that Taiwan is winding down to close up shop. I wonder if the Taiwanese know this. Furthermore, it is remarkable that a dithering, politically impotent EU not only is more powerful for having expanded again (against the historical trend, that), but has also "secured" Russia's energy. Because Putin seems hell-bent on ensuring that the EU does not "secure" Russia's energy. And apprently the North Africans are not Muslims anymore, and have no emnity against Spain, England, or the other EU countries. Oh, and the Caspian has apparently become stable.

My goodness, I need to work at a think tank. Everything in the world will radically change, except that America will not bounce back from the Iraq adventure, and the current economic slow down. What are the odds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home