Tuesday, May 29, 2007

[ri-puhg-nuh-nt]

I saw two things today that were repugnant to me. The first is that Cindy Sheehan has apparently decided that America does not live up to her expectations. You will remember that she is the woman who has been protesting the Iraq war since her son died in Iraq. In her "resignation letter" she wrote "Good-bye America . . . you are not the country that I love and I finally realized no matter how much I sacrifice, I can't make you be that country unless you want it."

Wow. I happen to agree with those people who said, and say, that Iraq was the wrong war at the wrong time, that we are not winning the war, and that whatever plan there was supposed to be for the war apparently was not well-executed (or, worse yet, it was). That being said, Cindy Sheehan is an ass, and not the "face" of my opposition to the war. Her quote is repugnant and self-centered to me. I am very sorry that America is not living up to Cindy Sheehan's expactations. She is frustrated because somehow sitting outside of the President's ranch for a year and change did not stop the war? Try running for Congress, Cindy. You had the publicity, you had the name recognition. You would have had the money. Instead, you camped out for peace, like some sort of hippy from the 1960s. They didn't end a war either.

On a more gross than offensive level of repugnance, there are cicadas in the Chicagoland area right now. We have not seen them in the 'hood, but apparently some suburbs are swarming with them. Literally hundreds or thousands can show up in certain places. What do you do when they come? Apparently some people make pizza and use them as toppings. Really, check the link. Of course, each pizza uses fewer than 10 of them, so it is not a good solution for getting rid of them. Leaving me to wonder why I would eat them . . . Here are some other recipes from the University of Maryland.

2 Comments:

Blogger MC said...

Is America living up to your expectations?

4:55 PM  
Blogger David said...

MC,
That's the wrong question. Cindy Sheehan's grand standing is repugnant. The idea that we have all failed *her* is repugnant. There are effective avenues of trying to end the war, then there is Sheehan's way. Note that I live in a state that has overwhelmingly elected antiwar politicians. People who may actually be able to end the war, and none of whom camped out in Texas like a bunch of jackasses.

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home