Friday, October 15, 2004

THE WHITE WHALE

I just finsihed Moby Dick. I never read it in high school, or college. I bought an unabridged, used copy. I thought it would make me a better, more well-read person.

Nobody ever told me that after 600 pages of random observations about whales, hunting, and people, they would encounter Moby Dick for four pages, and he would unrelentingly pimp smack them for those four pages. This was not man versus nature, this was Michael Jordan relentlessly, unceasingly, unquestionably making the Cavaliers his bitch.

By the way, what happened to Queequeg? He and Ishmael are homies for two hundred pages, then the y got on a four year sea voyage, and Ishmael only mentions him when he almost dies. Did they have some sort of lovers' quarrel? What the hell did he do all that character development for?

Some of the disjointed nature of the book makes sense, since it was serialized in newspapers when published. If the author is writing on the fly, the story is much more coherent read with a week between each chapter than in book form. However, it is in book form, so how about we get an editor involved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home