Wednesday, August 02, 2006

A POST ABOUT PEOPLE

Matt asked for my thoughts on Alfonso Soriano and the fact that he remains a National. To be honest, I have never been sold on Soriano. He strikes me as a sketchy glove man at any position. I think the bat he uses is too large. He's a lifetime .280 hitter, which is okay, but his OBP is lifetime is .325. I'd like to see an OBP around .375 for him to be the superstar everyone says he is. He is fast and has power, but he strikes out 125 times a year (at least). In other words, I am not sure he makes enough contact to be as productive as we think he his. He sucks in the field. I think the Nats should have sold in the hot Soriano market and gotten value for him.

I can't avoid saying a few words about Greg Maddux and his departure from the Cubs. Maddux was a tremendous professional, and I suspect that he has helped Carlos Zambrano enormously, and I wish him a World Series victory in Los Angeles. I don't think there is a prayer that will happen, but it would be nice for Maddux. Also, nice job by the Cubs getting Cesar Izturis for Greg Maddux.

Finally, there is Mel Gibson. As everyone in the world knows, Gibson was arrested for DUI, and apparently said to the arresting deputy "the Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world . . . are you a Jew?" In the fallout from that Gibson was quoted as saying "as a public person, 'when I say something, either articulated and thought out, or blurted out in a moment of insanity, my words carry weight in the public arena.'" Yeah. Well, here's the thing. When I get drunk and meet people I don't know, I don't usually just start yelling racial/ethnic slurs at the person. It isn't that my sanity keeps me from blurting these things out. It is that I don't think them. That leads me to believe that Mel Gibson is facing one of three possibilities:

(1) he is insane (using his term)
(2) he is an anti-Semite
(3) he is an insane anti-Semite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home