Thursday, June 15, 2006

THE EXPANDING UNITED STATES

Today I was in Walgreen's. The guy two people in front of me paid with his debit card. The 200 year old lady behind the counter asked him for his zip code. He said "57." That made sense. We were in 60657. Oh, and all Chicago zip codes start with 606. All of them. Look. I'm not lying. I'm only 35 and I figured this out. In fact, I knew it about 25 years ago.

As you can imagine, I was very surprised when the old lady was extremely confused about his zip code. He said "57" a few times, then said, with exasperation, "60657." She responded "oh, I didn't know. They keep adding them all the time." Everyone just sort of froze and I could hear crickets suddenly. Still adding them? Um, like when we annex another country? Oh boy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Larry said...

Did you get her number? I'm sure she would say "MOhawk 7-5671," or some such thing.

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home