Monday, October 10, 2005

GREAT MOMENTS IN BEARS HISTORY

I was on the Illinois State Supreme Court web page today. I noticed that the Chief Justice of the Illinois Supreme Court is Robert R. Thomas, a.k.a. Bob Thomas. This gave me pause, since the Bears kicker of my childhood was named . . . Bob Thomas.

I clicked on the link for Justice Thomas and read his bio. Justice Thomas graduated from Notre Dame in 1974, and from Loyola (Chicago) Law in 1981. Absolutely not one word on what he may have done from 1974 to 1981.

Fortunately, I was pretty sure I knew what he had done in the interim. I was pretty sure he was, in fact, the Bears kicker. A google search confirmed that this was the same Bob Thomas. How the hell are you not going to mention being a professional football player in your official bio?

Of course, Thomas is not the first former Bear to sit on a state Supreme Court. Alan Page, who also went to Notre Dame for undergraduate school, was elected to the Minnesota Supreme Court. No word on whether he put his career with the hated Vikings and the Beloveds on HIS bio.

1 Comments:

Blogger David said...

I can only imagine that for some odd reason Justice Thomas does not want to be known as "the former Bear" for the dignity of the offcie.

Of course, one of his recent predecessors was Michael Bilandic, who was on the Illinois Supreme Court after having been the Chicago mayor who failed to clear the streets of snow in 1979 and was voted out of office. Dignity is not always easy to preserve under such conditions.

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home