Saturday, September 03, 2005

REGISTER NOW

OK, I have never reviewed a CD here before, but first time for everything. Last Thursday I bought Kanye West's new CD, Late Registration on iTunes. I bought it because I read an article in which Kanye talked about trying to introduce new material to open rap and hip-hop up to broader musical influences.

All I can say is whether you like the tunes or not, Kanye has an album that nobody else would or could issue right now. Lots of people have heard Diamonds from Sierra Leone with Jay Z and its hook with the Bond theme Diamonds are Forever. Arguably this is plenty original, as compared to standard hip hop today. However, Kanye has groovy keyboard work (think bad lounge) on Late, and it works. Other highlights include:

Gold Digger (with Jamie Foxx featuring the rhyme "I ain't say she a gold digger, but she ain't messin' with no broke niggas," as well as the story of paternity suits "you can see him on any givin' Sunday, win da Superbowl drive off in a Hyundai");

Roses (for the line about the state of medical delivery in the United States "You know the best medicine go to people who paid. Magic Johnson got a cure for AIDS, all them broke muthafuckas passed away");

Gone (with Consequence and Cam'ron for the use of the string section in the last three minutes or so);

My Way Home (with Common); and

Bring Me Down (with Brandy with the lines "I have to say, since Pac passed away, most of you rappers don't even deserve a track from me" and "girl don't like me, how long has she been gay?")

In short, for $9.99 on iTunes, it is worth just buying the whole 21 track album.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WTF??

your blog's been spammed!

i've heard about things like this but never saw it.

Frank

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home