Friday, March 18, 2005

DAY 2, NCAAs

I can’t do a minute-by-minute blog. That is for people who blog for a living. I can, however, keep a running commentary. For instance, NC State, who I picked, had to outscore Charlotte by 19 in the second half to win by 12. Way to dig yourself a hole, fellas.

It’s 1:35. I picked Florida. There is 1:14 left in Florida versus Ohio. Ohio just TIED THE DAMNED GAME. Are you kidding me? I hate Florida. From the humidity, to Bobby Bowden, to today’s game, I have nothing good to say about the state. Regardless of whether the Gators pull this off, I hate them. Florida: America’s wang.

Then comes the Big (11) Ten. What was I thinking? Minnesota? I should have seen them losing. I should have known that Illinois and Michigan State are the only two quality teams in the Big (11) Ten. Should’ve. Could’ve. Would’ve. Damn.

Oklahoma State gave me my second win of the day and confidence should the Illini face them. I appreciate their letting Southeast Louisiana hang around until the end. Not too different from the Illini and FDU last night, but that’s good. I am concerned enough about Nevada without Oklahoma State actually playing well. I can always rely on Eddie Sutton to have teams like that.

It’s 1:52. Florida pulled it out. I hate them. I am tempted to rail on Billy Donovan and say he’s another Quin Snyder, Steve Alford, but unlike those two, his team plays Sunday, so I guess that is unfair. It will have to suffice for me to say I hate Florida.

3-1 after four games today, 16-4 overall.

4:30. SIU and Nova come through. Good to see coming out of an interminable meeting. 7-1 today, 20-4 overall. Half of my losses are attributable to the Big (11) Ten. Damn them. Damn them all to Florida.

L and I decide to go out for some Friday night Fish Fry. Games are on. Vermont is about to knock Syracuse off. I am pissed. That is a bracket buster. Cheering against all reason for a Boehiem team to be clutch. They are not. When we get home, L checks the brackets. I have Vermont winning that game. I rule. Life is good. 21-4.

Duke gets all it can handle from Delaware State, but wins. Just win baby. Michigan State gets all it can handle from Old Dominion, but wins. Thank God. The last time I remember seeing ODU play, it must have been about 1982 or 1983 when they upset number one DePaul. I was traumatized by the DePaul loss, and have always remembered "Old Dominion." What kind of a name is that? Stoopid. Mississippi State proves again that nobody on the far side of the Rockies can ball and that if the RPI says so it is a liar. A filthy, stinking liar. 24-4.

The late games are a blur of loathing Bill Self. Part of me hopes that the Illini are up watching something called a "Buckhell" knock Kansas out of the first round. Part of me wants them to rest up for a good Nevada team. Although I have Kansas in the Sweet 16, it is worth it to see Self get knocked down a few pegs to screw my bracket. Besides, two days into the NCAAs, and I still have 15 of my Sweet 16 teams. 27-5.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home