Tuesday, July 20, 2004

IT WAS ALL LEADING UP TO THIS
 
Most mornings, I get a ride to work. This morning there were other things going on in the morning and I took the el. My car was too full for the early hour, and had a couple of loud, crazy seeming people on it. I got off at Damen and got on the next train.
 
I thought about switching to the Evanston Express (the Purple Line for you neophytes) at Belmont, Fullerton, and Merchandise Mart. This is quicker because the train enters the east side of the Loop first, and my stop is the second from the end when the train goes around the west end of the Loop first. Anyway, I decided to just be mellow and read my book instead.
 
When I got off the train, two separate times I actually waited for the walk sign before crossing, which is close to unprecedented for me. In fact, I was grooving to some Nas (You Wanna Be Me), and then some Common (The B*tch in Yooo) and was just taking it easy.
 
When I got in the gerbil run (aka the Pedway) I was going to grab some breakfast at the Drunkin Donuts, but the line was long, so I pushed on to the little take away stand closer to my building. I bought a muffin there, barely having to break stride.
 
All of this, all of the little decisions, all of the little stops and starts, added up to running into Irv from Kirkwood in my building’s lobby. Irv does not work in my building, but he was headed to the NBC Tower, and was going into my building to get some coffee on his way to NBC Tower.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

who's Irv from Kirkwood?

come on, inquiring minds NEED to know.

Frank

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's Irv. Sheila's Irv.

Good God, Frank, how many Irv's do you think I know?

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank God. i was afraid there were alot of Irv's running free in the world.

kinda like the idea of free-range Irv.

Frank

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home