Friday, October 21, 2005

THE AIRMALL

I have heard from people that the worst thing about our hometown airport (O'Hare International) is that the shopping is terrible. This observation never made any sense to me. At all. Shopping? They have magazine stores, they have an ATM machine. They have food places. What the hell else do you need at an airport?

I have been in other airports. I never really noticed things other than magazine stores, ATMs, and food places. This includes LaGuardia, Houston Intercontinental(?), Orlando, BWI, Washington National, and others. Magazines. ATMs. Food.

And then I flew into Philadelphia. This is a whole new world. There's a Harley-Davidson store, THREE Brookstone locations, a Gap store, a Johnston & Murphy shoes store, and a bunch of other stores.

Johnston & Murphy? How often do you need new, highish end shoes at the airport? The Gap? How often does anyone need to get a cardigan and a pair of pants at an airport? Brookstone? Who ever needs anything from Brookstone?

This is really something. It is a new concept. Having to go through security to shop seems like a bad bet to me, but what do I know?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, you gotta hit up the Pittsburgh airport for some mall-like shopping. We have a truly pimp travel depot. What sucks is that they put all the stores behind the security checkpoints, so after 9/11 they lost an assload of business. The things you dont' anticipate.

1:41 PM  
Blogger David said...

I have gotten e-mail and oral comments from readers telling me that a bunch of airports are more like Philly than ORD. Live and learn I guess.

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home